At the Dveri-Pax Wine Cellar in North-Eastern Slovenia, we continue an 800-year tradition of Benedictine winemaking.
At the Dveri-Pax Wine Cellar in North-Eastern Slovenia, we continue an 800-year tradition of Benedictine winemaking. With a deep respect for nature and tradition, but never failing to integrate the best innovations offered by contemporary trends in winemaking, we cultivate 73 hectares (0,278 square miles[U1] ) of our own vineyards. The superior quality of our wines is well recognized. Dveri-Pax wines have won awards from the most respectful international wine evaluations, such as Decanter in London, AWC Vienna and many more. At the Decanter World Wine Awards in London, the Furmint / Šipon straw wine 2009 won the highest award - International Trophy, proving the superior quality Dveri-Pax wines even when pitted against the top wine manufacturers in the world.
The Dveri-Pax Estate is located in the Podravje wine region - Štajerska district, Slovenia. Our vines grow on the best ground:
At these three locations, on marl soils, we grow the following vine varieties: Yellow Muscat, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Riesling and Pinot Noir
RADGONE AND KAPELA
At these locations, on loamy soils, we grow the following vine varieties: Welschriesling, Furmint, Traminer, Chardonnay, Zweigelt, Pinot Noir and Blaufränkisch.
On these locations, on sandy soils, we grow the following vine varieties: Welschriesling, Furmint, Pinot Gris, Traminer and Sauvignon.
Between 1130-1135, the estate around Jarenina Manor was donated to the Church by the nobleman Rudolf Wittenswald. By the bishop Konrad I. from Salzburg, the property was then assigned to the Benedictine monastery at Admont. In the following centuries, the property expanded through purchases and donations. The Benedictine order also received possession of the vineyards at Železne dveri and Kapela. In the year 1300, the abbot Engelbert from Admont bought the vineyard at Železne dveri from Lube Valb, a bourgeois from Radgona. The wine was produced by the Benedictines and driven to Austria on the carts by the Admont monasteries peasants. Written sources indicate that the monastery vineyards were diligently cultivated and that the monks were skilful winemakers. The governors of the vineyards received written instructions from the monks concerning the management of the vineyards by the peasants or the tenants of the land. Quoting from the instructions ("Instructiones", which are comprehensive and include 43 points), issued in 1712 by the abbot Anselm Lierzer, to the governor of the Jarenina Manor (Jahringhof): "Because the vineyards are of special importance to us, we order the worker to perform his duties with enthusiasm, loyalty and diligence, to ensure that the work is done properly and in time, that the first pruning of the vine and hoeing of the soil is done in his [the governors] presence, with particular care and effort; namely these two tasks should not be delayed, this would cause huge damage to the harvest; the vine also should not be lashed prematurely or in wet weather.